Monday 8 November 2010

They got her on soya milk and alcohol

The title is slightly adapted from a Dr. Feelgood song. I saw them with my Dad a while ago.

Students often (not often me) drink a lot of alcohol but it's also great in food! I discovered this by making Beer Battered Tofu from Vegan Brunch by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.

It was yummy and my non-vegan boyfriend (from now on to be referred to as the boyfriend) loved it too. We roughly halved the recipe (I roughly guessed the amount of tofu that I thought me and the boyfriend could eat rather than weighing it to the right amount). It was a fun meal to make together and very messy. I'm sure it is possible to make them without the mess but getting my hands sticky was part of the fun. We had some batter left over so he had the wonderful idea of attempting to make onion bhajis. They were not proper onion bhajis as we didn't add spices and well, I don't think bhajis would normally contain beer. They were tasty though. So if you have any batter left, try slicing up some onion and putting a handful at a time into the batter and mix it around to coat. Try to scoop all the battered slices up with a fork and slowly drop them into the hot oil. It should all stick together as long as you drop it in in one go. I think beer battered baby corn, broccoli and peppers would be good too. I went all out and had the tofu and onions with chips and veg mmmmmm.

Any suggestions for what the boyfriend should be called in posts are welcome. Should I just keep calling him the boyfriend?

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say a quick hello - I'm loving your vegan mofo posts :) It's insipring me to go back to being vegan. I reckon just stick with "the boyfriend" - I still call my husband "the husband" in blog posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm glad to it is helping :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...